Friday, October 31, 2014

Another game that I feel is in the Halloween spirit is...




Dead Island, a zombie-themed game, and Halloween is all about zombies (at least within the last few years...).

The story begins when a tropical island resort is victim to a new virus that turns people into mindless, undead monsters. The player can choose from one of four characters to play as, each with a specialty in a certain type of weapon. These four are also the only people on the island resistant to infection... so at least we don't have to worry about becoming a zombie.

Throughout the game the player must scavenge for food an weapons, fight to survive, and of course try to find a way off of the island. The player will meet many non-player characters, help them with quests, and venture past the beach front resort to the inner city as well as the native jungle.

Co-op is also possible for up to four players, which can only add to the survival experience.

This is actually one game that I enjoyed more for the gameplay than the story. I mean, it just felt so real as I slashed through zombies with a katana, or shot at gang members that attempted to kill me and steal my supplies. Venturing the island hoping that I was out of harm's way when I find myself wandering straight into a horde of zombies.

Don't get me wrong, the story wasn't bad. It just seemed very typical. the experience itself was much more enjoyable. 

I did, however, feel sad when a character that I liked died. The fact that the disease Kuru was used to explain the zombie outbreak was also cool in my opinion, as that truly is the closest thing to an actual zombie disease in real life (at least for humans. Look up Ophiocordyceps Unilateral.)





No comments:

Post a Comment